What is Yin-Yang Philosophy?
The concept of yin and yang states that everything in the universe is composed of two opposing but complementary forces. Everything that is yin necessarily has a corresponding yang, such as night and day, or hot and cold.TCM focuses on the energy properties of food. According to TCM, a balance of “cool” and “hot” foods, or “yin” and “yang” foods, is essential to good health.
Yin is a large concept in Chinese medicine. Yin deficiency can occur for a wide variety of reasons:
- excessive sweating and excessive exercise;
- stress, long periods of worry;
- living in an extremely noisy environment
- over-consumption of caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, other drugs, and refined foods;
- most chronic illnesses, autoimmune disorders, and waisting diseases will either start out with a yin deficiency picture or will develop yin deficiency in conjunction with other symptoms.
Which foods are yin and which are yang??
Yin• soy products, such as tofu and soybean sprouts• certain meats, such as crab and duck• fruit, such as watermelon and star fruit• vegetables, such as watercress, cucumbers, carrots, and cabbage • cold drinks and water
Yang•Sugar, alcohol, chocolate, coffee and black tea are classed as yang• most foods that are high in fat, protein, calories, and sodium• warm spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
How to treat Yin deficiency with food?
There are many plant products that can help rebuild Yin. These foods are: millet, barley, rice, quinoa, amaranth, seaweeds, tofu, black beans, kidney beans, mung beans and their sprouts, beets, string beans, persimmon, grapes, blackberries, raspberries, banana, and watermelon.
- If you fall into the yin deficient, then cooking foods as soups, stews and congees will significantly aid in the regeneration of yin
- As Yin is the deeper fluid aspect of the body, so eating more fluid, watery dishes will fasten your recovery
- Adding more spices to your smoothies, porridges, coffee or veggie dishes 👉🏻 Check Vitanja’s turmeric paste recipe!
- Try adding a soup or a green juice daily to your diet – even drinking a cup of broth or stock throughout the day can be a helpful addition to provide more fluid to your body.
If you are suffering from complicated health issues with a yin deficiency component, it will be helpful to seek nutritional guidance from a trained acupuncturist or Chinese Medicine specialist.