Chakras are vortices of spinning energy located in our body on the mid–line of the spine. This energy is known as Prana, Chi, life force or vital energy. There are 7 primary chakras with various functions: spiritual, mental, emotional and physical. Each chakra has a different purpose, color, element and sound. When chakras are open, clean and balanced, we experience a state of well-being. When chakras are closed and energy cannot flow freely, we suffer and feel stuck. How to unblock your chakras?
1 Root Chakra // Muladhara
The 1st chakra located at the base of the spine – the center of survival, security, primal instinct and the seat of kundalini energy, often depicted as a coiled snake. Root chakra governs our foundation in life – the root through which we receive the nourishment we need. Muladhara is associated with the element earth, the color ruby red and the sense of smell.
- – When this chakra is open and balanced, we feel grounded, stable and secure, our body is healthy and radiant.
- – When out of balance, we may feel week and disconnected from life, insecure and fearful.
- – When this chakra is overactive, we can become overweight and lazy, and too materialistically focused.
2 Sacral Chakra // Swadishtana
The 2nd chakra, located in the lower abdomen, pelvic and genitals area. It is the center of creativity, passion, desire, sexuality, pleasure and pro-creation – the place, where our emotions originate from. Within this chakra lies what motivates us to let go of what no longer serves us, and helps us flow better with current life. Swadishtana is associated with the element water, the color orange and the sense of taste.
- – When this chakra is open and balanced, our sexual vitality, stamina and creative drive are healthy and vibrant, and our intuition is heightened – we feel pleasure and are passionate about life.
- – If the chakra is too open, we can get excessively emotional and sexual and lost in the pursuit of sensual pleasures.
- – When not open enough, our creative drive can be blocked, we can get disconnected from our emotions.
3 Navel Chakra // Manipura
The 3rd chakra is located at the solar plexus above the navel area – the center of power, self-esteem and vitality, and the seat of the intellect. It governs digestion and metabolism, fuels our intentions and assists in transforming our dreams and desires into manifested form. It helps us get things done. Manipura is associated with the element fire, the color yellow and the sense of eyesight.
- – When the chakra is healthy and balanced our will and personal power are strong: we can self control, are confident, have good self-esteem and have plenty of energy to manifest.
- – When unbalanced, we can get get manipulative, angry and explosive.
- – If too open, we may feel tired and be addicted to stimulants. We can become fearful and afraid to confront situations or people.
4 Heart Chakra // Anahata
The 4th chakra located in the center of the chest, the place of balance and love, and a bridge between the body and the spirit. It helps us develop unconditional love and self acceptance. It gives us the ability to see beyond ourselves. Anahata is associated with the element air, the color green and the sense of touch.
- – When in balance and open, we experience trust, harmony and love for self and others. We feel balanced and accepting life and we relate easily with others.
- – When out of balance, we may experience heart or lung problems, fear commitment, can become obsessed and compulsive, experience difficulty with intimacy, seek in others for happiness, and be unable to receive and accept love and support.
5 Throat Chakra // Vishuddha
The 5th chakra located in the throat area, governs communication and self expression, helps us understand our inner truth and convey with our voice to the outside world. This chakra gives us power to deal mentally with physical things and to assimilate spiritual insights into our daily life. Vishuddha is associated with the element ether, the color sky blue and the sense of speech.
- – When open and balanced, we can express ourselves clearly and express our thoughts. Our mind is sharp and clear.
- – When out of balance, communication is hindered and there may be tendency for dishonesty or hiding in silence. We can become highly critical toward others and have hard time expressing how we really feel – mind gets restless. We also may experience sore throat and neck pain.
6 Third Eye Chakra // Ajna
The 6th chakra located in the middle of the head and between the eyebrows is the center of spiritual awareness and intuition. It governs psychic perception and clairvoyant abilities. It allows us to see the big picture, to transcend our egocentricity and find a deeper meaning in all things. Ajna is associated with the element of light, the color indigo and the psychic senses.
- – When in balance, we can see clearly from a higher perspective – we live an inspired life.
- – When out of balance, we can become afraid of success, lack trust and imagination, have poor decision making skills, be self deceptive.
- – When excessively active, the 6th chakra can lead to hallucinations and psychosis.
7 Crown Chakra // Sahasrara
The 7th chakra located above the top of the head governs our spiritual connection and knowing of who we are. It’s the source of our inner peace and enlightenment, and its a door for consciousness that leads beyond materialism to reach fullest potential. Sahasrara is associated with the element of thought, the color violet and white, and the sound OM.
- – When open and balanced, we experience a sense of oneness and connection with the spiritual realm and a higher self – we can develop trust in life.
- – When out of balance, we don’t know who we truly are and we may feel a loss of meaning and identity. We can experience difficulties with understanding and retaining knowledge, mental problems and can become overly materialistic or close-minded.